Less than six months after being replaced as Crime-Chief, Assistant Commissioner of Police Leslie James and his family were made to endure several minutes of terror when gun tooting bandits stormed his home early Sunday, making off with almost $400,000 in jewellery. The ordeal that has left his two children traumatized, took place just at James’ lot 453 Hendy Street, Block X, Liliendaal, East Coast Demerara home, and lasted for 12 minutes. The jewellery were taken from the former Crime Chief and his wife Jacqueline James, the Retail Sales Manager for Guyoil.(Kaieteurnews.com/photo:Kaiteurnews.com)…[+]
english news
Five Gitmo detainees transferred to UAE
U.S – The United States announced the transfer Sunday of five detainees from Guantanamo Bay to the United Arab Emirates as part of an effort to eventually close the detention center in Cuba. The Defense Department announced the move, which leaves 107 detainees at the facility inching President Barack Obama closer to his long-held goal of shuttering it. Obama signed an executive order on his third day in office to begin the process of shutting down Guantanamo Bay.(CNN.COM/photo:cnn.com)…[+]
Pressure mounts on Venezuela to allow election observers
VENEZUELA – More than 150 lawmakers from Latin America and the United States have signed a letter addressed to Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
They urge him to allow international observers to monitor Venezuela’s legislative polls on 6 December. Venezuela has invited monitors from regional body Unasur but has rejected those from the Organization of American States (OAS). The lawmakers also called for the release of jailed opposition leaders. The letter to Mr. Maduro was signed by 157 lawmakers from Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Peru and the United States. It says that “as citizens go to the polls, the presence of qualified international observers would permit all Venezuelans to have the highest degree of confidence in the integrity of the process and the electoral results”.(BBC)…[+]
Evidence mounts that British Islamic State leader killed in air strike
SYRIA – The United States targeted British Islamic State leader “Jihadi John” in an air strike in northern Syria and evidence was growing on Friday that he was killed. A U.S. official said Thursday’s attack in the town of Raqqa probably killed Mohammed Emwazi, a British citizen who was nicknamed “Jihadi John” after appearing in videos showing the killings of American and British hostages. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a monitoring group, said four foreign militants had been killed in U.S. air strikes.(Reuters)…[+]
Chinese premier meets Bill Gates
CHINA – Chinese Premier Li Keqiang met with Bill Gates in downtown Beijing on Thursday. Li said China is ready to work with other countries to cope with climate change and developing clean energy, including nuclear power, is an important method. He said the Chinese government hopes U.S. companies could combine their advanced technology and design with support industries and construction abilities of China to conduct joint research and development under the precondition of safety, reducing cost and enhancing sustainability, to improve China’s nuclear power industry.(Xinhua)…[+]
Aung San Suu Kyi’s NLD wins historic majority
MYANMAR – Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi’s party won a historic majority in Myanmar’s parliament, marking the nation’s rejection of decades of military rule. While the results haven’t been officially certified, the win by the National League for Democracy means it will choose the country’s next President. The announcement, made by the election commission yesterday, comes on the fifth anniversary of Suu Kyi’s release from house arrest, where the 70-year-old had been for the better part of 20 years.(CNN.COM/photo:cnn.com)…[+]
Harbour Bridge tragedy…$1M bail for husband on causing death charge
Twenty-six year-old, Dhanram Ramdeo Ramlall was yesterday granted bail in the sum of $1M by City Magistrate Judy Latchman, for allegedly causing the death of his wife Gangadai Persaud, by dangerous driving. Ramlall, of 4210 Tuchen Housing Scheme, West Coast Demerara, denied the allegation which stated that on November 8, at the Demerara Harbour Bridge, he drove motor vehicle GEE 4540, in a manner dangerous to the public, thereby causing the death of Persaud. He will return to court on November 30, for statements in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.(Kaieteurnews.com/photo:Kaieteurnews.com)…[+]
Charges against Dr. Westford breach amnesty – Neil Boston
Senior Counsel, Neil Boston, has maintained that the institution of criminal charges against Former Minister of Public Service, Dr Jennifer Westford, and her Personal Assistant, Margaret Cummings, breaches an amnesty promise made by Minister of State, Joseph Harmon, during a press conference earlier this year. Boston made this claim yesterday, when he addressed the court on why court proceedings against the former Minister and her Personal Assistant, should not go forward. Boston contended that there is evidence for the Magistrate to “stay indefinitely these proceeding”. The Attorney made an hour-long submission before City Magistrate Fabayo Azore in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts. In his opening remarks, Boston assured the court that his application has nothing to do with prejudice or fairness. He affirmed that it has to do with “executive abuse”. The lawyer recalled that over the years, the court has frowned over the attempt by any executive to wrongfully misuse the process of the court.(Kaieteurnews.com/photo:Kaieteurnews.com)…[+]
Russian TV stations air secret plans by accident
RUSSIA – Oops. Two tightly controlled official Russian TV stations have accidentally broadcast classified military information for all to see, the Russian news agency Tass reported. “Certain secrets indeed were caught on camera; that is why later they were deleted,” Russian presidential press secretary Dmitry Peskov told reporters Wednesday, according to Tass. “We are hopeful it will not happen again,” Peskov said.(CNN.COM/photo: ibtimes.co.uk)…[+]
Wanted man killed…trigger man’s house torched in Bagotstown
A three-year-old feud over a woman, and other gang-related issues have left one Norton Street, Bagotstown family homeless and another in fear and mourning for a man wanted by police for murder. Just yesterday, 34 Norton Street, Bagotstown went up in flames. This incident occurred hours after one of its occupants, Anthony Trim, was identified as the trigger man who shot and killed Jermaine Roberts, 24, just outside the gate. The police identified the victim as Jermaine Simon called ‘Lapsy’ of Lot 41 Norton Street, Bagotstown, EBD.(Kaieteurnews.com/photo:Kaieteurnews.com)…[+]




