Despite some objections all 51 elected representatives of the people on Tuesday were admitted to Parliament for the 2015-2020 term. The acting chairman of Parliament, Ronald Hooghard, administered the oath to 50 members. Paul Somohardjo was sworn in a second time. Some of the MPs opted for a oath while others opted for a promise in the presence of a clergyman. Andre Misikaba and Dinotha Vorswijk were ‘assisted’ by two ministers. The clerk read aloud the wording of the oath after which the members either took an oath or made a solemn promise to the acting chairman of Parliament. The legislators appeared in alphabetical order…[+]
english news
Woman hid BlackBerry in food
A woman tried to smuggle a BlackBerry phone into a prison by hiding it in the food that she wanted to give to the inmate. Reports indicate that the woman had hidden the phone in cooked rice. A prison guard intercepted the contraband while screening the food. The woman could not explain how the phone ended up in the rice and why she wanted to smuggle a phone for the inmate in question…[+]
Sapoen and Chitan admitted to Parliament:
The Pertjajah Luhur (PL) will deliberate to determine its next move now that PL dissidents, Raymond Sapoen and Dipakkoemar Chitan, have been sworn in and admitted to Parliament. “The party will discuss this matter because we certainly do not agree with the fact that Sapoen and Chitan were sworn in despite the fact that the PL had been recalled. In the next couple of days it will be announced if the PL has taken legal action against the State or if the PL has adopted another strategy,” said the chairman of the PL, Paul Somohardjo…[+]
Deadline Suralco take-over extended with 1 month
The take-over of the Surinam Aluminum Company (Suralco) by the Surinamese government which had been scheduled to take place on July 1, 2015 has been extended with 1 month. Alcoa and the Surinamese government made this announcement in a joint statement. According to the statement, both parties need more time to finish some things before the transaction can take place. Parties hope to be ready on August 1 so that Suralco can finally be sold to Suriname. Alcoa, the world’s leading aluminium producer, in March 2015 said it is in talks to sell its Suriname operation to a government-owned entity. “…[+]
Finger condom introduced to youths with a visual impairment
The finger condom was recently introduced to youths with a (visual) impairment. The National Foundation for the Blind and Those with Poor Eyesight in Suriname (NSBS) on Saturday held an info session for this target group. During this info session on sexuality it became clear that these youths are being confronted with sexuality in different forms.(foto:BlogSpot.com)...[+]
Senior citizen arrested on drug trafficking charges
Officers from the BID team on Friday night arrested a 69-year old man on drug trafficking charges at the Johan Adolf Pengel International Airport. Reports indicate that the man who will turn 70 in two weeks had hidden 2.396 grams of cocaine in a hidden compartment of his suitcase. The police officers noticed irregularities when they scanned the man’s suitcase and therefore decided to take a closer look at it…[+]
Heavy weather claims 1 life
Heavy weather that was caused by a frontal depression that passed Suriname’s coastal area left 1 person dead, zinc sheets on the streets or in trees or power lines, trees uprooted, billboards and utility poles broken on Sunday morning. A man who was driving along the Ringweg drove into the gutter after he saw a billboard being pressed to the ground by the forces of nature. Trees also flattened cars at Witsantie and Sabakoe. Reports indicate that 51-year-old AR died when a tree fell on his car…[+]
Toddler died as a result of respiratory disorder
Police Inspector Humphrey Naarden, head of the Public Relations Department of the Police Force Suriname (KPS), told Times of Suriname that a 3-year-old girl died on Thursday because of a respiratory order. Initial reports indicated that the toddler had died as a result of suspected sexual abuse. A report from the Coroner’s Office rules out sexual abuse as the cause of death...[+]
Sapoen vague on goals of PL reform movement
Raymond Sapoen on Friday did not clearly explain what the goals are of the pro movement for reform and renewal. “We are still the Pertjajah Luhur (PL) and the group that supports me has not left the party. It is an internal matter and we will handle things internally,” said Sapoen who added that the group’s intentions are not aimed at forming a coalition with the National Democratic Party (NDP) but that it is all about addressing matters that are wrong within the PL. “It is just a concurrence of circumstances,” said Sapoen...[+]
Brunswijk: “Opposition parties must determine joint strategy”
Ronnie Brunswijk, chairman of the ABOP, on Friday told Times of Suriname that “I am currently holding talks with Pertjajah Luhur (PL) and today I will also talk to the National Party Suriname (NPS) and the Progressive Reform Party (VHP) because I want all opposition parties to determine a joint strategy in response to the political situation in the country.” “I will sit down with them and exchange thoughts on the matter…[+]




